Advertisement
Advertise with us
sidenav

R.J. Reynolds Asks ITC to Ban Disposable Vape Imports

In this article we will cover
Reynolds wants to cut off Vuse competitors at the border
Reynolds’ desperate war on disposable vapes
Advertisement
Advertise with us

Tobacco industry giant R.J. Reynolds has filed a U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) complaint, charging multiple manufacturers, distributors and retailers of the most popular disposable vapes with unfair imports. The action follows other Reynolds efforts this year to stem the tide of disposable vapes that compete with its Vuse products.

The ITC has not yet taken action on the complaint. Vaping360 has obtained a copy of the document, which was filed Oct. 13.

Reynolds is asking the ITC to investigate and issue an exclusion order preventing further U.S. imports of the disposable vaping products in question, and to issue a permanent cease and desist order prohibiting the named businesses and their “affiliated companies or divisions” from importing, distributing or selling any of the “accused products.”

"Many of the manufacturers of these disposable vapor devices intentionally and systematically market to youth, selling products with dessert and candy flavors and featuring cartoon characters," a Reynolds spokesperson told Vaping360. "These illegal disposable vapor devices, which have unknown ingredients and bypass regulations, are jeopardizing public health by refusing to adhere to the laws that regulate the sale of tobacco products." The spokesperson cited "vapes disguised as highlighters, featuring cartoon characters, or youth appealing flavors like unicorn, bubblegum, and rainbow candy" as evidence of "marketing to youth."

Should Reynolds succeed at the ITC, the market for flavored vaping products that people like could fully shift from a gray market (products sold in legal retail stores; taxes paid) to an underground black market (fully illegal and unreported).

Reynolds wants to cut off Vuse competitors at the border

The businesses named in the complaint—referred to by Reynolds as “peddlers of illegal disposable vapes”—are manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers of Breeze, Elf Bar, Esco Bar, Hyde, Puff Bar, and R&M disposable vapes.

Included among the companies named in the complaint are several well-known U.S. wholesale and retail sellers of disposable vapes, including Element Vape, Flawless Vape, Magellan Technology, Mi-One Brands, Price Point Distributors, and Vape Sourcing.

The ITC complaint accuses the respondents of importing “illegal disposable vapes” in violation of Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930. Specifically, Reynolds claims the named businesses either falsely advertised that their products are authorized for sale by the government, failed to comply with federal laws imposing registration and reporting requirements and limitations on sales, or violated customs laws and regulations. Some of the respondents are accused of violating the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, which was amended in 2020 to include vaping products.

R.J. Reynolds owns mass-market vape brand Vuse, which sells the single most popular convenience store vape, the Vuse Alto. Last week, the FDA issued a marketing denial order (MDO), ordering Alto menthol refill pods off the market. The Alto device and tobacco-flavored pods are still under review by the agency. Two older Vuse vapes, the Solo and Vibe models (and their tobacco-flavored refills) are among the six currently sold vape devices authorized by the FDA.

In its complaint, Reynolds claims that, should the agency ban the competition, Reynolds and its Big Tobacco brethren are capable of picking up the slack. “Reynolds has the capacity to replace any increase in demand if the Accused Products were excluded from importation,” says the ITC complaint. “Reynolds is willing to meet any increased demand and can do so in a commercially reasonable time, given that it already supplies the industry with significant quantities of ENDS products, as well as oral tobacco and nicotine products.”

Reynolds’ desperate war on disposable vapes

The action is the latest in Reynolds’ campaign to eliminate growing competition from disposable vapes in the convenience store/gas station segment of the vaping products market. Both Reynolds and its parent company British American Tobacco (BAT) have taken extraordinary steps this year to attempt to cripple the upstart vape competitors:

R.J. Reynolds and British American Tobacco still make the bulk of their profits from the sale of combustible cigarettes.

Note
Oct. 20 update Article updated to include a statement from R.J. Reynolds.
Advertisement
Advertise with us
Latest Reviews
Article preview image
Freemax REXA PRO & REXA SMART Review: Too Smart?

The Freemax REXA PRO and REXA SMART are highly advanced pod vapes, offering seemingly endless features, beautiful touchscreens, and new DUOMAX pods.

Wed Jul 30 2025
Article preview image
OXVA XLIM Pro 2 DNA Review: A Match Made in Heaven!

The OXVA XLIM Pro 2 DNA is powered by a custom-made Evolv DNA chipset, offering a Replay function and dry hit protection. Read our review to find out more.

Fri Jul 18 2025
Article preview image
SKE Bar Review: A Reusable Crystal Bar!

The SKE Bar is a 2 mL replaceable pod vape with a 500 mAh battery, a 1.2-ohm mesh coil, and 35 flavors to choose from in 2% nicotine.

Mon Jul 7 2025
Advertisement
Advertise with us
Latest Learn
vaping taxes
Vaping Taxes in the United States and Around the World

Because of declining cigarette sales, state governments in the U.S. and countries around the world are looking to vapor products as a new source of tax revenue.

Thu Jul 31 2025
How Old Do You Have to Be to Vape?
How Old Do You Have to Be to Vape?

The legal age to buy e-cigarettes and other vaping products varies around the world. The United States recently changed the legal minimum sales age to 21.

Tue Jul 1 2025
Where vaping is banned or restricted
Vape Bans: E-Cigarette Restrictions in the U.S. and Worldwide

A list of vaping product flavor bans and online sales bans in the United States, and sales and possession bans in other countries.

Fri Jul 4 2025
About Authors
Jim McDonald
846 posts

Smokers created vaping for themselves without help from the tobacco industry or anti-tobacco crusaders, and I believe vapers and the vaping industry have the right to continue innovating to give everyone who wants to use nicotine access to safe and attractive non-combustible options. My goal is to provide clear, honest information about vaping and the challenges nicotine consumers face from lawmakers, regulators, and brokers of disinformation. You can find me on Twitter @whycherrywhy

See author’s profile
Vaping360.com strives to be the world's most trusted resource for vapers and smokers. We take pride in our editorial integrity, accuracy, and the honesty of our writers.
Read more about us

Rely on Our Expertise

At Vaping360, we take pride in our deep expertise and years of experience in the vaping industry. Our dedicated team of professionals is committed to leveraging their extensive knowledge to meet your needs and exceed your expectations.

Authenticity

Genuine insights backed by thorough and exhaustive research and testing.

Reliability

Consistent, accurate information from the vaping industry experts.

Empowerment

Transparent and reliable content for confident and informed decision-making.

About us

Our mission is clear: to help people who smoke transition to low-risk alternatives and contribute to a smoke-free world. With each article we publish and each review we conduct, we're working towards this goal.

about-us-banner
product preview